Sunday, June 9, 2013

FO: Aria's Cowl



Pattern: Bandana Cowl from The Purl Bee
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in the colorway "Heather Gray"
Mods: Knit using a smaller needle size and smaller gauged yarn for a more close fit cowl
Inspiration: Aria Stark
Purpose: Project 4 of 4 (yay!) for the Game of Thrones KAL on the Ravelry group

Aria is a lot of things. She is head strong, she is fiestey and most of all she is fearless when it comes to her convictions. She is possibly the most kick-a** Stark and one of my favorite characters.

I wanted to make something inspired by her and fell in love with the simple lines of this cowl. I wanted something that looked like Aria would actually wear it and this cowl fit the bill quite nicely. While the shape has a masculine appeal (something tom-boy Aria would probably appreciate), it still has a touch of feminine charm. 


I chose the color gray for Winterfell and for the Stark colors; no matter where Aria goes, she always has Winterfell in her heart, so I thought it fitting to pay homage to the fact she might hold onto a little Winterfell gray.

The pattern is well written and easy to follow. I hadn't worked short rows before and this pattern made them a breeze. The cowl worked up very quickly and was easy to knit on while watching tv, but never became boring. 

Seeing as the weather where I am has risen to the late 80's, I'm looking forward to wearing this in the Fall ... or maybe it will end up in the gift pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...